Canon launches new CN-E18-80mm cine-servo zoom
Canon has unveiled the CN-E18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S, a new Cinema EOS lens with cine-servo style functionality. Designed for professional and advanced amateur videographers using large-format, single-sensor cameras, the lens strengthens Canon’s line of cine-servo lenses, following in the footsteps of the highly successful CN7x17 and CN20x50...
The latest addition is a perfect blend of operability with outstanding precision and quality, giving videographers the power to capture exceptional footage. Supporting hand-held shooting, the lens includes a servo engine for smooth and precise focus and zoom. For those who prefer shoulder-style filming, an optional accessory is available in the form of a dedicated zoom grip, ideal for use with hand held rigs. Free of charge, Canon is also announcing a firmware upgrade to the CN7x17 cine-servo lens, adding Dual Pixel CMOS AF, Push Auto Iris and One shot / Continuous AF features to the lens when used with Canon Cinema EOS C100 and C300 series video cameras.
Outstanding 4K optical performance
Based on Canon’s heritage in optical design and performance, the CN-E18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S is equipped with a resolving power that matches 4K, producing exceptionally high quality images. The 18-80mm focal length range equates to a 4.4x zoom ratio with stable T4.4 number maintained across the entire zoom range, with exceptional 4K resolving power from the centre to the edges. Thanks to three Canon Image Stabilization system modes, the lens ensures complete stability even whilst the camera is hand-held, perfect for those shooting weddings, for example. The CN-E18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S also features a nine-blade diaphragm, to give the much-loved ‘bokeh’ look while a colour-balanced barrel matches the other Cinema EOS lenses.
The perfect companion for single-shooters
Weighing in at just 1.2kg, the CN-E18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S is Canon’s smallest and lightest cine-servo lens to date, providing instant benefits for mobile videographers, such as those shooting news and interviews. Its compact size and weight also means it can be used for drone-style shooting or in discreet or restricted positions. The CN-E18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S is incredibly easy to function and negates the need to switch between lenses, opening up a variety of shooting opportunities for single users.
Those using the lens for professional use, such as documentary filmmakers, can also benefit from the CN-E18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S’s incredible servo performance as the servo unit is incorporated on the lens’s body, enabling precise digital zoom operations. Users are able to achieve maximum speed and responsiveness with seamless switching between auto and manual focusing and zoom. For those using a shoulder-style rig or shooting hand-held in demanding positions, the dedicated zoom grip is a perfect accessory – the grip simply attaches to the side of the lens, offering simple integration and zoom management.
The lens features minimal focus breathing, thanks to the 3-group inner focus system. Users are able to quickly change focus without losing viewing angles, perfect for those capturing fast moving activities.
CN-E18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S - Key Benefits:
- Canon EF mount compatibility provides support for fast and accurate Dual Pixel CMOS autofocus, camera-to-lens servo power supply, automatic lens metadata acquisition for easy post-processing, and lens functions such as peripheral illumination correction.
- Purpose-built video lens with a focal length of 18-80mm and 4.4x optical zoom.
- Optional Canon ZSG-C10 remote zoom grip (sold separately) offers fluid zoom control, a dedicated one-shot AF button, and the flexibility to use handheld, shoulder-mounted or with a tripod.
- Superior Canon optics provide stable brightness levels of T4.4 (F4) across the entire zoom range.
- DC and USM motors for fast, fluid and quiet servo zoom and focus control.
- Three modes of image stabilisation for crisp, clear video.
- Easy to use and work with, weighing a drone-friendly 1.2kg.
- 9-leaf iris helps create beautiful, cinematic bokeh effects.
- High optical resolving power and optomechanical design to meet all 4K shooting requirements.
- Significantly reduced ‘focus breathing’ means less distortion and more consistent shooting.