Canon launches the EF11-24mm f/4L USM: the world’s widest ultra-wide zoom
Canon has launched the world’s widest angle full-frame ultra-wide zoom – the EF11-24mm f/4L USM – which features a new optical design to give photographers who need to work at very wide angles an ultra-wide zoom built to the highest standards possible.
The EF11-24mm f/4L USM uses a completely new patented lens design. The optical construction consists of 16 lens elements in 11 groups with a three group zoom and rear focus. The lens’ use of four aspherical lenses (including the world’s largest diameter ground aspherical lens within a photographic lens and three glass-molded lenses) helps to minimise distortion throughout the entire zoom range, while the inclusion of both a UD lens and Super UD lens minimises chromatic aberration and eliminates colour blurring around the edges of the subject. This ensures high-quality images with high levels of resolution and contrast.
Superb construction and performance
Because of the weight of the front optical group, the EF11-24mm f/4L USM employs a new mechanical design to ensure a smooth focus and zoom mechanism. A ring type ultrasonic motor (USM) lens achieves high-speed autofocus with perfect accuracy while a waterproof and dustproof construction on the mount, switch panel, zoom and focusing ring prevents dust and moisture from getting into the lens, and a fluorine coating prevents anything from sticking to the front of the lens; making it suitable for photography even in the harshest conditions.
Strong innovation and design
Commenting on the launch of Canon’s new ultra wide-angle lens, Mike Owen, Professional Imaging Communications Manager, Canon Europe, said: “Canon’s premium L-series lens range continues to go from strength to strength, building on years of engineering and design experience. The new EF11-24mm f/4L USM is a groundbreaking lens, providing a wide angle of view and superb optical clarity thanks to the use of four aspherical lens elements and a brand-new lens coating to maintain ultimate sharpness and virtually zero distortion at even the widest angle. Canon prides itself on its close association with professional photographers and regular round table discussions ensure that feedback is provided directly to the engineers, to help them create superb products. This lens is a perfect example of how this process has tangible benefits.”
EF11-24mm f/4L USM – key features
- World’s widest angle ultra-wide zoom with 11-24mm focal length.*
- f/4 fixed aperture high-performance standard zoom L series lens.
- Uses 4 aspherical lens elements and a UD and Super UD lens elements, ensuring the highest image quality.
- Canon unique SWC and new ASC anti-reflective coatings.
- Fluorine coating on the lens surfaces to prevents dirt sticking to lens elements.
- Silent, fast autofocus, using a ring type USM.
- The 9-blade circular aperture creates beautiful out of focus highlights (bokeh).
- Full-time manual focusing.
- Minimum focusing distance 0.28m (at 24mm zoom position).
- Highly resistant to dust and water allowing shooting in the harshest conditions.
* Excluding fisheye lenses.