Canon Log comes to the EOS 5D Mark IV!
A major firmware upgrade for the EOS 5D Mark IV has been announced by Canon Europe this week, which sees Canon Log (C Log) being added to the DSLR providing enhanced dynamic range and easier colour grading...
Canon Log is a staple feature in Canon’s Cinema EOS range and is designed to deliver an 800 percent increase in dynamic range, minimising the loss of detail in the darkest and brightest parts of the image. When using C Log on the EOS 5D Mark IV, an ISO setting of 400 will deliver the largest dynamic range of 12 stops, perfect for shooting in difficult lighting conditions.
Ensuring maximum freedom in post-production, C Log alters the image processing data after the image has been captured. As a result, videographers and filmmakers will find it easy to colour match with footage shot on other cameras, including those in the Canon Cinema EOS range. The footage from any camera can be combined and colour matched in a single colour grading process, which provides a final global colour and seamless feel, regardless of whether the film is shot on different cameras.
C Log also reduces noise, particularly in shadow areas that can appear during colour grading. The new firmware makes the colour grading of footage more flexible via the production of accurate colours with minor colour bias.
EOS 5D Mark IV – KEY FEATURES
- 30 Megapixel Full Frame CMOS sensor with ISO 100-32000 (Lo: 50 and H1:51200, H2: 102400) sensitivity range
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF in live view and movies
- 61-point High Density Reticular AF II - AF points over wide area, 41 cross-type sensors, EOS iTR, AI Servo AF III, 61 AF points with 21 cross-type at F8, and -3EV
- 7 frames/second with selectable burst speeds and silent shutter mode
- DIGIC 6+ Processor for outstanding image processing speed and camera responsiveness
- 150k pixel RGB+IR metering sensor
- Built in GPS
- Built in WiFi with FTP option and NFC
- Compatible with Canon Camera Connect App (iOS and Android)
- 1.6 million dots 3.2inch LCD monitor with full touch screen operation
- EOS Movies - 4K video up to 30p, Full HD up to 60p, HD up to 120p with C LOG via chargeable upgrade
- 100% magnification Intelligent Viewfinder II with electronic overlay
- Mirror Vibration Control System to reduce mirror vibration blur
- CF + SD (UHS I) dual memory card slots
- Digital Lens Optimizer, Peripheral Illumination and Chromatic Aberration Lens Correction in camera
- Multiple Exposure and HDR mode
- Improved Weather resistance
- Built-in timer functionality – bulb timer and interval shooting timer
- Timelapse movie function
- Built in IPTC support
- 150,000 shutter cycle life
- Compatible with most 5D III accessories (Not USB cables and WFT-E7 must be firmware updated )
About the firmware
The firmware update will be available as a chargeable upgrade exclusively via Canon authorised service centres. You can find your nearest service centre by contacting your local pro dealer here. To discover more about the EOS 5D Mark IV please click here.