EOS 7D firmware v2 now available
Canon has announced that the EOS 7D firmware v2 is now available - it further enhances the DSLR camera by adding a range of new benefits and functionality for those who are looking to explore the creative boundaries of their photography.
Following direct user feedback from photographers around the world the new firmware further extends the 18 Megapixel EOS 7D’s advanced image quality, high-speed shooting and creative functionality.
Firmware v2 now offers greater control of image settings and functionality, including a higher maximum RAW burst rate, now up to 25 RAW files or 130 JPEGs. Giving photographers greater control over images directly after capture, a new range of in-camera editing functions includes processing of RAW files, as well as the ability to easily adjust white balance, sharpness and Picture Style. Enhanced control over Auto ISO levels during both still and movie shooting now allows users to limit ISO speeds to within the native ISO 400-6400 range; perfect for manipulating exposure in different situations.
During movie shooting videographers will also benefit from new manual control of audio levels, with the ability to choose from 64 different sound levels. New compatibility with Canon’s high-performance GPS unit, the GP-E2, enables photographers to track the locations of their images using longitude, latitude and altitude geo-tagging.
Canon EOS 7D firmware v2 – new features
- Improved maximum burst for RAW images (up to 25).
- In-camera RAW mage editing.
- In-camera Image rating.
- In-camera JPEG resizing.
- Maximum Auto ISO setting (ISO 400-6400).
- Manual audio level adjustment in movie recording.
- GPS compatibility.
- File name customisation.
- Time zone settings.
- Faster scrolling of magnified images.
- Quick Control screen during playback.
The existing specifications of the EOS 7D include up to 8fps shooting speed, high ISO sensitivity up to 12,800 for low light shooting, an iFCL metering system with a 63-zone Dual-layer Metering Sensor for superbly accurate exposures, plus outstanding in-camera Speedlite Transmitter flash technology.
EOS 7D – key features
- 18 Megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor.
- Up to 8fps top shooting speed.
- ISO range up to 12,800.
- Approx. 100% viewfinder.
- 19 cross-type AF points.
- iFCL metering system.
- Dual “DIGIC 4” processing.
- Full HD movie recording.
- Integrated Speedlite Transmitter.
- 7.7cm (3.0”) 920,000-dot Clear View LCD screen.
- Magnesium alloy body with environmental protection.
* EOS 7D firmware v2 (also known as Version 2.0.0) is available to download – please click here, enter your country, camera type and and camera model details, then select the firmware option to download the firmware. The Version 2.0.0 firmware being released this time is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.2.5. If the camera's firmware is already Version 2.0.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware. Please read all of the instructions before downloading the firmware. It is also advised to download the newly revised instruction manual for the EOS 7D from the Canon Europe Download Centre.