EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM: a superior telephoto zoom
A favourite focal length range among wildlife, sports and action photographers, the new EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM super-telephoto zoom offers exceptional autofocus ability coupled with stunning sharpness thanks to a new optical construction plus the use of new lens coating technology.
Who is it for?
The EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM is a compact yet powerful telephoto zoom ideal for covering wildlife, sport and action in even the most challenging environments. Featuring advanced optical engineering, a new 4-stop Image Stabilizer and excellent weather-sealing, it offers stunning image quality in a body that has been designed with ease-of-use in mind. When used on cameras featuring APS-C sized sensors, the EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM offers angles of view equivalent to a 160-640mm on a full-frame camera.
- Redesigned optical system delivers new levels of image quality. New multi-layered Air Sphere Coating (ASC) prevents flare and ghosting.
- Optical Image Stabilizer provides up to 4-stop benefit, including three IS operation modes.
- Zoom Touch Adjustment ring allows the resistance of the zoom control to be customised to your style of shooting.
- Focus quickly, accurately and in near silence. Full-time manual focus override allows precise fine adjustment.
- Weather sealed against dust and moisture, for use under harsh conditions.
- Ring USM drive, high-speed CPU and optimised AF algorithms to provide quiet and fast autofocus.
- A Fluorine coating on lens surfaces reduces dirt clinging to the lens elements and prevents smearing.
COMPACT SIZE AND WEIGHT
The EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM is the perfect optic for photographers on the move. With compact dimensions it takes up minimal room in a kit bag and can be relied upon to perform the moment it’s fitted to a camera. Its relatively light weight and superb quality builds on EF lens heritage and continues Canon’s excellent reputation for usability and performance.
The EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM has been designed to exceed expectations with a focal length range of particular appeal to landscape as well as sports, action and wildlife photographers.
INSTINCTIVE USER CONTROLS
Different photographers work in different ways. The Zoom Touch Adjustment ring can be used to set the amount of resistance felt when zooming the lens: a light touch is ideal when you’ll be working quickly in a fast-changing situation. On the other hand, you might want to stiffen or lock the zoom mechanism when you don’t want the focal length to change accidentally.
A tripod collar is now integrated with the barrel to provide smoother, seamless rotation while the tripod foot itself can even be removed completely.
A new, dedicated lens hood, ET-83D, allows the use of rotating polarising filters without the need to remove the hood, thanks to the inclusion of an access window.
STUNNINGLY FAST AUTOFOCUS
Enjoy fast USM autofocus that locks on accurately and in near-silence. Full-time manual focus override allows precise adjustment without taking your camera away from your eye. The EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM focuses as close as 0.98m, letting you react to subjects that come unexpectedly close.
NEW OPTICAL IMAGE STABILISATION
The EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM’s Image Stabilizer (IS) system has been completely redesigned and now offers up to 4-stops of compensation. It also features the three levels of stabilisation, found on Canon Mark II telephoto-zoom lenses:
- Mode 1: The same as previous IS systems. IS detects movement in two planes.
- Mode 2: New algorithms reduce problems when panning. IS detects movement in one plane, ideal for panning.
- Mode 3: IS is only activated during exposure. Allows panning without the IS over-compensating for movement which may affecting image quality.
SUPER UD LENS ELEMENTS WITH FLUORITE AND ASC COATING
The EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM delivers sharp, high-contrast images, using Fluorite and Super Ultra-low Dispersion (Super UD) lens elements to tackle artefacts and distortion. Super Spectra coatings are optimised for the EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM to help dramatically prevent flare and ghosting. An anti-smear fluorine coating on the lens’ front and rear element also repels water and dirt.
The EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM uses multi-layered Air Sphere Coating (ASC) technology that combines traditional anti-reflective technology with a low refractive index layer. When light enters a lens, it slows down as it passes from air into glass. This rapid reduction in speed is the cause of reflections that degrade an image through flare, ghosting and a drop in contrast. The first layer of ASC contains nano sized air particles in a thin layer of film that slows down light more gradually as it enters the lens, which prevents problems like flare and ghosting from spoiling image quality, while other layers of ASC reduce any reflections that do occur.
Technical product specifications are currently unavailable.