EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM: the small
with a big reach
The EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM is a compact super-telephoto lens that features Canon's latest generation Diffractive Optic (DO) technology to offer superb optical performance in the super-telephoto class, with a lens that is considerably smaller and lighter than the norm. The combination of a fixed f/4 aperture and DO technology provides a compact lens design, while other improvements include better dust and waterproofing plus Fluorine and SWC coatings on the optics. This combination of features and high image-quality make the lens a highly desirable addition to the weight-conscious photographer.
Who is it for?
The EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM will appeal to photographers looking for a lightweight super-telephoto. Wildlife, news or travel photographers who may need to walk long distances will find this lens a particularly welcome addition, with all the hallmarks of Canon image quality in a smaller, lighter design.
- Third-generation Diffractive Optic lens elements provide excellent correction of chromatic aberration with high image quality with the benefit of a reduction in the overall optical system size.
- Relatively large maximum f/4 aperture, delivering excellent performance in medium to low light.
- Optical Image Stabilizer provides up to 4-stop benefit, including three IS operation modes.
- Ring USM drive, high-speed CPU and optimised AF algorithms to provide quiet and fast autofocus.
- SWC coatings combine with improved lens design to minimise ghosting and flare.
- A Fluorine coating on lens surfaces reduces dirt clinging to the lens elements and prevents smearing.
- Full-time manual focusing enables instant manual focus control.
- Power focus mode added to the focus mode switch increases versatility during movie shooting.
- Dust and waterproofing enable shooting in harsh conditions.
- 9-blade circular aperture creates beautiful out-of-focus highlights (bokeh).
COMPACT SIZE AND WEIGHT
The EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM is smaller and lighter than a conventionally designed 400mm f/4 lens, weighing in at just 2100g. This is made possible thanks to Canon’s innovative Diffractive Optic (DO) technology.
EXCEPTIONAL IMAGE QUALITY WITH EXCELLENT BUILD
The EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM features third-generation DO technology which makes it a superb performer, particularly in the hands of those shooting sports, wildlife and news photography. The lens is engineered to minimise flare and coloured fringing, and delivers excellent sharpness right across the frame in a lens that is weather-sealed to guard against dust and moisture.
SUPER SPECTRA COATING, SWC AND ANTI-SMEAR COATING
Super Spectra coatings are optimised for the EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM to help dramatically prevent flare and ghosting. Along with Canon’s unique Sub Wavelength structure Coating (SWC) – an anti-reflection coating that uses microscopic wedge-shaped structures on the surface of the lens to minimize reflections – ghosting from light bouncing back from the sensor is prevented. An anti-smear Fluorine coating on the lens’ front and rear element also repels water and dirt.
CANON’S NEW OPTICAL BUILT-IN IMAGE STABILISATION
The EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM’s Image Stabilizer (IS) system has been completely redesigned and now offers up to 4-stops of compensation. It also features the three levels of stabilisation, found on Canon Mark II telephoto lenses:
- Mode 1: The same as previous IS systems. IS detects movement in two planes.
- Mode 2: New algorithms reduce problems when panning. IS detects movement in one plane, ideal for panning.
- Mode 3: IS is only activated during exposure. Allows panning without the IS over-compensating for movement which may affecting image quality.
The EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM lens features a third generation DO (Diffractive Optic). Canon succeeded in being the first company in the world to commercialise this technology by developing its own unique structure. Through the use of DO lens elements it is possible to control chromatic aberration, as well as making the lens compact and lightweight.
The DO lens elements used in the EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM offers superior colour aberration correction performance than previous generations of DO lenses and ensure both high image-quality and the ability to miniaturise the optical system.
The EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM is the first lens to offer a third-generation DO lens gapless dual-layered diffractive optical element. This new lens element structure prevents any decline in diffraction efficiency caused by the air layer used in previous designs. By making the two diffractive lattices adhere to each other, this removes the air gap, which could result in internal lens flare and the appearance in direct light of rings in images from the diffraction gratings on the lens elements.
To further prevent flare caused by light outside of the image striking the DO lens element, the placement of the DO lens has been optimised, by placing it deeper inside the lens and thus preventing stray light causing flare on the DO optic. Together with the third-generation DO lens elements, the high image-quality and reduction in size and weight has been made possible by combining this DO lens with a Ultra-Dispersion (UD) element and a large-diameter ground aspherical lens.
INSTINCTIVE USER CONTROLS
The EF400mm f/4 DO IS II USM’s focusing controls fall instinctively under the fingers. A wide manual-focus ring allows full-time focus override without having to take the camera away from your eye. Focus Preset and Focus Stop buttons let you control precisely where the point of focus lies – ready to capture that special moment. Power Focus mode allows smooth pull-focus type effects when shooting movies.
POWER FOCUS MODE (PF)
A Power Focus (PF) mode has been included on the focus mode selector switch. Using the PF mode when the focus preset switch is OFF allows the photographer the creative freedom to adjust the focus recall ring, enabling a smoother focus shift – particularly effective when shooting movies. Focus shift speed can be switched between two speeds depending on the angle that the focus recall ring is rotated to.
Technical product specifications are currently unavailable.